Monday 19 January 2009

Derby Day and the death of TV......

The butterflies have started the replica shirt has been washed and ready to go since the weekend and tonight is the night.........
Now if you believe the red shite,I mean the red side of Merseyside they don't think of this as a derby they prefer to say that Man Utd are their true rivals....five european cups blah blah blah....
But to beat them tonight at Analfield sorry Anfield would make this year a dream and to put them out of the F.A cup next weekend well... Heaven,Nirvana,you name the mythical place of enlightenment and I will be there.........With knobs on!
"90 minutes of shear hell" as John Barnes once put it,is exactly what I will be going through tonight but it will never compare to the persistent visual torment that seems to be infecting British TV of late.I'm talking about the lazy and incompetent TV executives idea of regurgitating period drama instead of throwing abit of money at something original and groundbreaking.Why in gods name does someone at the BBC think that all the public want to see is some remake of a remake of a culturally irrelevant and thoroughly twee dead mans novel.
Why does this biscuit tin and tea cosy kak with its "oh madam I seem to have brushed your bosom" and its "Master James I feel your tone has inflamed my ardor" bullshit,become some sort of staple output for a Sunday.....
I mean I'm kool with Antiques Roadshow,I like the soft ambling pace of this pre-bath classic.But now Sunday evening has become Ovaltine for the brain...and even if you flick around period drama is everywhere and not just in the guise of Dickensian toss but there is a real reluctance to make any show based in the present(unless it has a public vote),Heartbeat,The Royal remakes of the 39 steps,All nostalgia trips.
You know something is wrong when all you do is watch DVD box sets of American TV.
We all know about the current and highly talked about TV that is being produced by the likes of HBO and FX and I'm sure that many of us have lost whole weekends watching The Wire but ask yourself this....What if ITV took half the budget they spew on the evil that is X-Factor and let someone make a new and intellectually engrossing pilot....What if the BBC took some of the money they make from the advertising revenue they get from UKTV food,Dave and G.O.L.D and gave it to Charlie Brooker or someone of his obvious talent and told them to go ahead and make something the isn't the vulgar catchphrase littered sub Benny Hill fest that was the last Little Britain Debacle.....
What if?
Dont get me wrong....Life on Mars was a great moment, all be it retro,and The Mighty Boosh is a triumph but I'm sure there is enough talent around to make these nuggets in the shit a regular find rather than a occasional bonus...
I never thought I would agree with Bruce Springsteen...
BUT
"57 channels and nothin on"
True Bruce..
To true..........................

No comments: