Thursday 8 January 2009

Death of a legend

Isn't it weird how life's strange turns and twists throw up the oddest moments of
peculiar symmetry,the other morning I jumped into my car on my way to doing the ultimate
rock n roll pastime of paying bills in Crouch End and the album chosen to accompany my
journey this particular day was the awesome fuzz fest that is The Stooges second long player Fun House.
When I returned home I discovered that the man who created the monumental noise that had
made even the most mundane of trips to the bank swagger like Iggy on crack had passed away.
My heart sank,Ron Asheton was a pioneer and a futurist but most of all he made me want to be a guitarist...the bleeding amp and crunching chords that pinned me to a wall in Essex as a youth had lost not one Gram of their strength in all these years.The fuzzed out soul and sometimes too "raw power" was still enough to get a 30 plus bald man bouncing in his small hatch back on the way to the Nationwide in nappy valley.
Its not often that a true legend dies but this week one has,and needless to say ever since I heard the news its been 1969 OK in my gaff....
R.I.P
Ron Asheton
1948-2009

No comments: