Monday 5 January 2009

2009 the year of Dan

So the Christmas wotnot is over and the trial of awkward silences tough meat, tougher wrapping paper and not enough nibbles comes to a end.......
Also along the way the new year snuck in during a very pleasant and terribly Guardian reader style break in a barn in the countryside.Lots of fun was had in the sub zero frosty temperatures of Hereford with my cousins,sister and the other half or should I say the better half.
I cooked my first ham,I say......
I cured a salmon,what what....
I drank sherry....
I'm becoming my grandad,or Hugh Fearnly Whittingwotsit.....
Anyway gourmet shizz aside it was tip top,but as I plowed down the M4 yesterday i must admit
I was chuffed to bits to be heading back to the big smoke,that's the thing about the weekend in the country thing,you get there, light the wood burner,pull the cork on a huge red and suddenly you are working out ways you can make a living in the wilderness,over the next few days you convince yourself that making cheese or running a smokery is a genuine option,but then as you hit the M25 on the way back your brain goes SUSHI....
And that's when you realise that you wouldn't be able to cut it due to your obsession with raw fish...
Today the usually new year crap begins,people in strip light lit orifices everywhere will be chirping on about their DETOX....
About how they are gonna drink less exercise more be better people blah blah blah...
Well its too late for me to drink less and eat less and as for being a better person that's why I see a shrink!
The reason why most of the detoxers cant hack the boozey crimbo is cos they are part time drinkers,holiday slurpers,they are the light weights you see being sick in there handbags on the central line around December the 19th...
I'm not proud of my intake but a regular top up of light and lager definately helps with the whole indulgent festive period,cos I've already got a good foundation to build on.
I eat twiglits all year round so they come as no shock to me!
Other than the extra pounds ,higher cholesterol and a scar where i cut my hand on my new and unbelievably sharp knife,my other reason for being pre-occupied is the transfer window.
That's right for all footy obsessives now is the time,sky sports news rolling info bar in the background, tribal football.com in a window all of its own and the BBC gossip columm being checked religiously every morning.
But being a Evertonian I don't think I'm gonna be celebrating any record breaking transfer coups,still the thought of Man City blowing millions to still get relegated is something to make it all worthwhile.
I also aim to do more of this blogging thing and take 2009 by storm so watch out!

1 comment:

Paul Staxx Spraget said...

Hey, gald to hear you had a good new year break pretending to be an epicure.
Got yr text, can't text back cuz I'm skint and no credit. Would love to meet up this weekend but i ain't got two pennies to rub together until Wednesday i'm afraid.
In other new, I'm an uncle! Little Sophie was born last Sunday, all weel and good.
See youy soon.
Staxx.