Thursday 12 February 2009

606,108 and 2nil

Lastnight saw me huddled around the glow of my laptop cursing my broadband speed due to the fact my wife wanted to watch Masterchef(It doesn't get tougher than this!).So onto the ITV website I went and the buffering commenced...This was a night for a great moment in one players career a one off mistake in an others and countless bleating and the bog standard par for the course bilge from Joe Public.

So the match in short from a English point of view was a hotch potch of clumsy play, disjointed tactics and due to cup involvements and title chases abit lacking in real effort.....

But really what did we really expect?

Well according to the average moron that rings up the dick personified that is Alan Green we expected us to maul the best passing side in the world of course!

Whether you like Becks or not to compare him to the sentimental vision of Bobby Moore is ridiculous beyond belief...Moore never won a European cup,league championship,and F.A cup treble or played for the biggest clubs in the world.But Becks never lifted the World Cup and never will,Moore also has what I like to call the Lennon affect.....

We all know that on the back of Beatles records it says Lennon/McCartney but its called John Lennon Airport....and so Moore has the advantage of dying tragically...this ups the tinted specs and rosey filter.

I never saw Moore play live or met him so I don't know if he was a "true gent" and a giant on the green stuff...and Becks persona is probably why people don't like him,lets face it us British hate success, good looks and pride in your country....That's why I think that Bobby would have welcomed Becks achievement 'cos after all successful,good looking and proud of his country were all things he was...

So back to the game...

After a encouraging first 20minutes we started to look ragged,the midfield clearly weren't doing a good enough job they were neither creating or defending...and the front two were a target that couldn't be reached,then one of the best defenders in the country made a rare error.

Phil Jagielka had made it look easy up to this point saving calamity James's blushes and tracking Torres manfully but with the midfield standing round looking at the majestic Xavi and Iniesta Jags tried to pick out a pass to someone who wasn't there,seconds later both him and John Terry looked like dizzy children as David Villa slalomed round them and coolly slotted home past James.

The first half eventually ground to a halt and then came the even more painful viewing of ITV's punditry.Tea was brewed and a jimmy was taken......

The start of second half brought five changes and a 108th cap for David Beckham,England continued to look clueless and my interest wained.I flicked between the live feed and the BBC's 606 but little did I know what horror was on the horizon.....Carlton Cole came on and they scored,a good delivery a towering header and some poor defending so nothing new there then...off went the lappy.On went the kettle and the radio...What a schoolboy error!
It wasn't long til my limbs were tense and my mouth full of expletives just bursting to come out,the people that ring in to just mock,complain and deride get on my tits...Green helps wind them up naturally...but I don't get their problem?
Yes we didn't play well,but Spain were at home and bang up for it...and if you watch footy regularly you will know occasionally your domestic team does the same as England did they go missing,and are you telling me that all of the moaners that complain about prima Donna's and other cliches go into their dead end jobs and bust the humps everyday regardless...Bullshit..
Its another example of this countries problem with success...if you make pots of dough it wont be long til some div questions your integrity or if you are worth your fortune..They will no doubt see it as fluke or corrupt..You cant win...They build you up and then knock you down twice.
I know it sounds foolishly optimistic but I believe that had lastnight been in a competitive environment with the full squad it would have been alot different...3nil perhaps!!!!
Seriously.. I'm a half full kind of bloke,maybe that's why I will never ring 606...Maybe that's why I support Everton and maybe that's why the Becks/Moore debate makes no sense to me..
Because surely instead of playing the two off against each other shouldn't we be swollen with pride that they both had the 3 lions across their chests.

No comments: